Monday, August 20, 2012

STM Rd 3 - 7hr - Nowra

Singletrack Mind - Round 3 - 7 hr -  Coondoo Road, Nowra

2nd Elite Solo

16 laps / 153km / 7 hrs : 24 mins

It was back to the SCUM tracks around Coondoo Rd for the 3rd round of the SRAM Choc Foot / Singletrack Mind series.

These tracks are well known for their flowing single track, deep sandy corners and the odd log roll over.  The first few laps are usually about playing the game of "is that a berm of just a big pile of sand ... am about to find out ... !"

We had been told there was some new singletrack in the 10km course, but really this was just the result of some dude with a whipper / snipper making a random trail through some long grass. Maybe this will be new singletrack in another few months once it has fully bedded in ... but for the duration of the race it was just (literally) a pain in the arse!

Going into the race, Ed McDonald (the current series leader) was taking it all very seriously. A taper week leading into the race, and a new bike to break in. Meanwhile, Mark 'Tupac' Tupalski had been putting in some serious training (according to Mark, at least 5 hours / week) and was ready to give Ed a run for the win.

For me, I was still fully blown from the 12 hour the weekend before. I had groveled / limped through my weeks training schedule and hoped I could hold on to those boys at least long enough to not look embarrassed.

That said, I was adamant I was not going to get screwed over in the self-seeding chaos this time around. After starting in the draining ditches at both Orange and Kowen, I was going to make sure I was up front. With the help of Gumby organizing the start line, I finally had a good position - and a much better view of the road to come, then the back of some camel back, flat pedals and baggy shorts.

The teams riders took off, and I jumped in on the back of one of the team's riders. The pace was quick, but not too bad (considering). Tupac was a few wheels up front, and really pushing it. I could hear Ed a few wheels back on me.

After the first few laps, Ed and I were together and Tupac was about 30 secs up the road. I decided to just sit in on Ed and see what he had today.

He seemed to be a little slower then usual - or maybe I was just still in tune to riding with English from the weekend before and in "flog my self" mode. Either way, I took an opportunity to jump past him, get a little gap and then jump onto the wheels of one of the fast teams.

This seemed to be working well, Ed was out of sight behind me and I was being told Tupac was just a little ways up ... and then coming up behind a train of riders at speed, I misjudged their speed (more the point their excessive use of brakes into a corner), and I went flying off into the scrub. In my best Russian gymnast style I did two forward rolls and even managed to be swearing whilst rolling! #skills

Luckily my bike seemed all ok, but my Garmin was a dribbling mess - yes, literally. The LCD screen was cracked and leaking. RIP Garmin.

I was soon back up and pushing hard - with no idea of my HR. Oh well, just have to do the "ride so it hurts" routine.

Later that lap I caught up on Tupac, and for the next few hours we traded the lead and little gaps. 

Mark sensed me back off a little around the 5 hour mark, and he took the opportunity to hit the gas.

I started to feel good again at 6 hours, and thought I may as well pick up the pace to see if I could catch back to Mark. You never know, he may be suffering up front. I was 3/4 through my 2nd lap of pushing harder (albeit through very thick traffic), and I caught the first sight of Ed since the morning! He was probably 30 - 40 secs back.

Oh shite ... I have just been frying myself, and now I may have to do another lap with Ed hot on my heels.

I jumped between team riders - who ever was going the hardest - and secretly hoped that I would come through transition at 6hrs : 59mins and Ed would not make that ... but no, it was 6 hrs : 57 mins - crap crap crap. Now I have to bust myself for another lap!

I set out with everything I had, and this time the lazy team riders were hanging onto my wheel! Lazy lazy. There was a few anxious moments as we got caught up in the slow single track traffic, and I was constantly looking back over my shoulder.

Thanks to one of the Jet Racing guys for returning my tow, and giving me a super fast run down the last big fireroad.

Finally, the last little hill came and I gave everything to get to the top as quick as possible - and with no Ed in sight it was a big relief.

In the end, Tupac was about 1.5 minutes in front of me, and Ed was a minute back on me.

#smoked

That was a really good race - rarely do these races come down to a matter of minutes - let alone to have the top 3 all within 2.5 minutes!

As with the weekend before, I ran the Cannondale Flash 29er for the fully race. The big wheels are definitely and advantage over the soft sandy soil. They also make the few little rock gardens and rooty sections nothing to think about.

On the tire front, I had left on a Schwalbe Nobby Nick - thinking there would be bad weather - but it worked out really well for the sandy and loose conditions. The tire had heaps of bite, and a good predictable turn in on both the loose and firmer sections.

Schwalbe make a 29er version of the Nobby Nick in a Snakeskin (protection) version which is just a few grams more then Racing Ralph version. So, for these conditions it was definitely worth it. I will be pulling this tire out more often I think!

A big thanks to;
  • Robyn, Kylie & Anne for all the quick transitions and excellent race support. The girls also looked after Garry, Ed, McAvoy and Grantly, whilst also racing themselves in RAKs Racing! Very impressive.
  • Cannondale AU - nearly 20 race hours in 2 weekends on the Flash 29er - #flawless
  • Vie13 Kustom Clothing
  • Radical Lights
  • Choc Foot and all their sponsors for putting on another well run and great fun event - and for the ever tasty chocy feet!!
  • Cycology for hooking Robyn up with some cool new t-shirts and caps
  • Well done to Aaron Thompson (Tommo) for also finding some form, and smacking some of the big boys!







No comments:

Post a Comment